Change The Way You See Friendship

20:09 Unknown 0 Comments


Growing up, I was quite a reserved kid. It wasn't always easy being around people. That's when I started to prefer being alone most of the time. There were factors that not until I was mature enough to realize, were the reasons behind my indifference. For instance, my parents didn't allow me to go out of the house alone until I was in high school. I was an only child back then, which made them pretty protective. 

I became awkward for years, not really knowing how to react around people. And through sports, I learned how to overcome it little by little.

Almost 10 years ago, I was invited to try Ice Hockey.

I was gladly welcomed by 2 teams. One for the women's division and one for the men's. Ice hockey is an unusual sport to exist in a tropical country, which enticed me even more. It's fun and exhilarating at the same time.


It made me overcome my introversion, that for the first time, I am really happy to be a part of something. I'm not a morning person, but that made me look forward to waking up at 6am on Sundays for training.

For years, I played hockey and technically grew up with my teammates. We didn't refer to each other as "just" teammates, but saw each other as close friends and even brothers and sisters, whilst our coach was our figurative dad.

From then on, I became confident and more open to people, which encouraged me to try a new sport.

2 years ago, I was brought by a friend to Meralco Football field on a Thursday night, while teams of Frisbee players were playing. The first time I stepped on the field and got called to play for the scrimmage, without having no idea how the game works, I survived, big thanks to the patient and supportive players. They say, that frisbee players are welcoming and supportive of each other, well I am here to testify that it is a fact.




2 days later, I attended another training and became part of the team. I started attending trainings and signing up for leagues.

But aside from the fact that doing sports is ultimately fun, what I like about it, is the friendship that you get to build with these people. May it be on or of the rink and/or field, you're friends. 3 of my best friends are from Ice Hockey and most of my close friends are from Ultimate Frisbee.

My friends helped me become a better person. Through the years, I've learned so much because of them. I've fallen countless times, and my teammates have always been there to pick me up.

I like capturing the moments of our most fun times; pick ups where we're mostly complete, times we lost games but felt like winners, victorious moments after giving our all, as a team. 



These photos remind us that we're not just simply individuals, that we're not just merely a team; but we are actually a family, that grows, becomes better and succeeds together.

As much as I would want to take a lot of photos, there are times, when it's a struggle taking photos because of the setting. One thing I appreciate about Huawei P9 with Leica lens, is that it takes amazing photos no matter what environment you're in. May it be in a dark or light environment, you get amazing results because of the merging algorithm that combines the colours taken by the RGB sensor with the detail of a monochrome sensor.



Most athletes love the idea of action shots. That's one more thing I love about Huawei P9, it makes it possible for me to take action shots during games without the need of bringing and setting up a DSLR which I find too complicated to do, all thanks to the dual lens that produces high quality photos.

From an athlete's point of view, there's more to the sport than just the game. It's the bond that you get to build with your teammates and the people around you. The photos will prove the unbreakable bond that I have with them. Winning is a bonus, because to be able to work as one unit, you need to understand each other. That's what I want to show and express to other people through these photographs.

Like what they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.


0 comments: